Monday, October 25, 2010

Antenna Bling

Granted, these 160 meter beams are not the norm, and I suspect most hams would think, "That's one big antenna", while others might drool. In the world of amateur radio Olympic gold medalists, antennas such as these are too much for me to comprehend.

What would happen if ham radio had a 320 meter band? Would these super competitive hams build rotatable 320m beams? The only rules that govern monster antennas are the laws of physics. Fortunately for dipole folks like me, the FCC has imposed amplifier power limitations. Otherwise, super competitive amateur radio stations would super-size their amplifiers as well. My 100 watts would become flea power in short order.

In this first photo and accompanying video clip, is the handiwork of HIDEYUKI OSHIMA, JO1DZA in Japan. www.qrz.com has more photos of his antenna farm.


This next photo is the 'shack' and 3 element 160m beam of OH8X in Northern Finland. Surely an impressive set up, but no drool here. Click the OH8X Radioarcala link for more information about his station and other antennas.

When I received my novice license in 1976, I was living in an apartment in Mississippi, and I was determined to get on the air "by hook or by crook." In my apartment was the ceiling hatch that lead into the attic. As every enterprising ham would do, I took advantage of this 'gift', and hoisted myself into the attic to have a look see.

I surveyed the attic space, and saw that an antenna of sorts could be installed. After gathering the necessary materials, I climbed back into the attic to perform my first antenna installation. Since I would be walking on other folks' ceilings, I gingerly made my way to and fro, attaching my 15 meter antenna wire to the various wooden structural members in the attic. My antenna wasn't a dipole or any other standard configuration. It was just a bunch of wire cut for 15m and attached zig-zag style to numerous roof supports.

On a personal dare, and to up the excitement factor, I decided that my first contact would be a DX contact. On August 19, 1976, I called "CQ DX" a few times, and Jorge, WP4EHC (SK) in Puerto Rico answered my CQ. Here is the actual log entry of my first amateur radio contact.


Imagine. Using a tangle of wire haphazardly strung in an attic, I was able to contact Jorge in Puerto Rico!

Here's a snapshot of an "IRC" that I used for my DX QSL's in 1976. And no, I don't save everything.


By now you might have realized that I deviated significantly from talking about gargantuan 160 meter beams. In a way, I did deviate, but the 160 meter beams and my tangle of 15 meter antenna wire in my apartment attic are quite related. Opportunity is the connection.

Hams are quite creative and inventive, and will seize every opportunity to better their ability to communicate. Just as I took advantage of the fact that my apartment building's attic access happened to be located in MY apartment, the guys who erect these monster 160 meter beams take advantage of their own resources of land, money, and talent, as well. Way to go!

In the end, we hams do what we can, and use what's available to 'work the world'. Good DX!

Michael Carroll N4MC

1 comment:

  1. Thanks to a brilliant effort in publishing your article. One can be more informative as this. There are many things I can know only after reading your wonderful article.

    antenna installation melbourne

    ReplyDelete